The essence of marketing is to know who your customer is, what their needs are and develop a plan that services those needs. Let’s face it anyone that has a business has a desire to grow their business. The most effective way to grow and expand your business is by focusing on organic growth.
You can increase organic growth in four different ways.
- Acquiring more customers
- Persuading each customer to buy more products
- Persuading each customer to buy more expensive products or “up selling”
- Persuading each customer to buy more profitable products
This post will focus on the first of four methods: acquiring more customers.
TARGETING IS KEY
When it comes to your customers keep in mind the importance of target marketing. The reason this is important is that only a proportion of the population is likely to purchase any products or service. By taking time pitch your sales and marketing efforts to the correct niche market you will be more productive and not waste your efforts or time.
COMBINE MARKETING AND SALES (and no they are not the same thing)
The most effective way to market a small business is to create a well rounded program that combines sales activities with your marketing tactics. If you are like the majority of small business owners your marketing budget is limited. Does that mean you can’t run with the big dogs? Absolutely not. It just means you have to think a little more creatively. How about launching your marketing campaign by doing one of the following:
- Call your vendors or associates and ask them to participate with you in co-op advertising.
- Take some time to send your existing customers’ referrals and buying incentives.
- Have you thought about introducing yourself to the media? Free publicity has the potential to boost your business. By doing this you position yourself as an expert in your field.
- Invite people into your place of business by piggybacking onto an event. Is there a concert coming to town, are you willing to sell those tickets? It could mean free radio publicity. If that is not your cup of tea, how about a walkathon that is taking place in your area, why not be a public outreach and distribute their material?
When you do spend money on marketing, do not forget to create a way to track those marketing efforts. You can do this by coding your ads, using multiple toll-free telephone numbers, and asking prospects where they heard about you. This enables you to notice when a marketing tactic stops working. You can then quickly replace it with a better choice or method.